Sunday, November 6, 2011

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement~Healthy Beef Stroganoff

I love beef stroganoff, however the traditional dish is packed with fat & calories, so I decided to do some researching to find a lower fat, yet tasty version of this meal.  I finally found one I liked in the Eat Up, Slim Down cookbook, which I changed slightly to fit what I was looking for.   The lighting in my kitchen isn't that great for photos...so while the pictures my not reflect it, this recipe tastes fantastic!



1-TBL Olive Oil
1-Pd or so of tenderized stew meat.  This part is important, if it's not tenderized, you must tenderize it yourself or cook it for a MUCH longer time.  I suggest the tenderizing, as it cooks so much quicker.
1-small or medium onion
Ground Black Pepper & Salt
2-cups Beef Broth
1-TBL Worcestershire sauce
1-can (4 oz) sliced mushrooms, or 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2-PD wide whole wheat egg noodles (which Walmart didn't have as you can see, so I used whole wheat spiral noodles, use whichever noodles you like)
1-cup Light Sour Cream
3-TBL Flour

In large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil.  Add beef & onion, and salt & pepper, cook about 10 minutes or until browned & onions are tender.  Add broth,Worcestershire sauce & mushrooms; bring to boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or so (if meat is not tender, you will need to cook about 25 minutes.  Meanwhile, cook noodles according to directions.  In small bowl, whisk together sour cream and ONLY 2 TBL of flour.  Add to meat mixture, and stir into bubbling strew and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes, or until thickened.  Here's where the extra TBL of flour comes in.  I like my sauce a bit thicker, so I add it and continue to cook as it thickens.  If you like the lighter consistency, don't add the third TBL of flour, or only sprinkle part of it in until you reach desired thickness of sauce.  You can always add more broth too if too thick of consistency.  Serve the stroganoff over the noodles.  I like to serve with sourdough bread, and that's it.

Happy Eating Friends! ~Trina

No comments: