Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement - Dallas-Style Sloppy Joes

I grew up eating sloppy joes.  Manwich-style.  When I met my husband, he insisted you must put mozzarella on top.  It was a beautiful thing...I'd never put cheese on my sloppy joes before, and I do love cheese.  I fell upon this recipe (original recipe)-which caught my eye with the brown sugar and Worcestershire-and decided to try it.  I swapped out a pound of the beef for ground turkey and with the addition of mozzarella and only the freshest of buns, it was a success! 




Dallas-Style Sloppy Joes

  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 white onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
  • 1/4 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
  • 6 large fresh buns, toasted

Directions

  1. Cook the ground beef and turkey in a large skillet over medium heat until completely browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the onion and bell pepper, season with sea salt and black pepper, and cook until vegetables soften, about 7 minutes.
  2. Stir in the ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard, and barbeque sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer the mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes.  Top each with a sprinkle of Mozzarella cheese and serve on toasted buns.
Buon appetito!

Leah