Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Colorado Springs On Fire


Air Force Academy Chapel

Colorado Springs. It’s where I was born. At the Air Force Academy Hospital, to be precise.

As the Waldo Canyon fire grows, I’m being reminded that Colorado Springs means even more to me than being born there and having tons of pictures of me with Pikes Peak and the mountains in the background.

My BFF who has spent the last 13 years talking about how all she really wants is to return to Colorado, has finally put plans in place to leave New York City in August and move back to her home state.  Yesterday, her parents were evacuated and the home of her very first job (Flying W Ranch) just burned to the ground. She is terrified. As pictures and video of her hometown up in flames flood the internet and news; she feels helpless.

My sister-in-law and her husband and four children were evacuated from her home in Chipita Park a few days ago.

That's me with my mom on the left!
Trina’s brother lives there. And I have a friend from my good ol’ Hawaii days who lives in the Springs with her family.

I was lucky enough to make a trip there for business when I was seven months pregnant with Luke.  I loved every minute of it! I met Zac’s sister and my nieces and nephews for dinner at Fargo's Pizza -the world's largest family pizza restaurant that my family had frequented when I was a kid. I had a beautiful sleep in a cozy room at The Cheyenne Mountain Resort. It’s insanely beautiful in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

A piece of my heart is there and always will be. Not only through memories, but in the people I love who are there and are experiencing such a scary time with their families and homes. 

In the rush of our lives, it’s so easy to get caught up on not having enough or wanting more.  But, everything can change in a heartbeat. So take this time to appreciate today and what you do have.


My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who is being affected by the wildfire in Colorado Springs. Godspeed!

Leah

No comments: