Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement ~ Cheesy Beef & Rice Bake

Okay, so this recipe originally called for chicken.  But, since we had chicken night before and my husband prefers beef, I decided to switch it up a bit.  It was awesome!  He loved it, my son had two helpings, and my daughter even at her fair share.  Score!  And shhh....don't tell but it's healthy too!

Ingredients:
1 pd lean ground beef (or two whole boneless skinless chicken breasts if you prefer)
4 cups cooked brown rice (according to pkg directions)
1 can corn, drained
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
1 cup, fat free plain greek yogurt (or light sour cream)
2 oz diced green chilis (w/juices)
1/2 cup salsa
1 cup low fat cheddar or mexican mix cheese
2 Tbl green onions, diced (or fresh cilantro, which I love, but my hubby hates)

Preheat oven to 350.  Brown beef, cook rice according to pkg directions, then mix with all ingredients except 1/2 cup cheese; pour in casserole dish & top w/remaining cheese.  Bake at 350 degrees until bubbly and cooked through, and cheese is melted.  Serve w/salad.  Happy eating friends! ~ Trina