Sunday, April 8, 2012

What Does Easter Mean to You?

Easter. I remember as a kid, Easter seemed to always be spent at my grandparent’s apartment in the Bronx.  Tons of family in a quaint apartment, eating together, laughing together- and us kids going crazy over our baskets!  I remember wearing dresses mirroring the color of Easter eggs and at least twice, a spry hat!  I really don’t remember any egg hunts, but I do remember loving every moment of being around family.

Flash forward to Easter 2009, Luke had a taste of what I always knew of Easter.  Though instead of the Bronx, we were in suburban Eastern Pennsylvania in my aunt’s beautiful, spacious house.  And though my incredible Italian grandparents are no longer with us, we celebrated with their spirits in our hearts-and in our blood- the entire time.  Everyone was able to make it to my aunt’s house that year.  My parents, all of my cousins, aunts and uncles.  Even my very busy, account executive/student/photographer/pilot-in-training brother was able to make it!  And we soooo love it when we get to see him!  So there we were, my husband by my side as we celebrated Easter gleefully showing off our bright-eyed 5-month-old son. 

Family.  It’s what Easter means to me. I wasn’t able to make it happen this year with our crazy move, and though my boys and I had a blast today (Zac had to work) at the beach, ice cream parlor and Easter egg hunt in Seaside (the most incredible little town you’ll ever see!)-I vow to bring back the old school Easters I once knew.  Family. Family. More family.  Maybe a few friends. And food.  And laughter. And togetherness.  And, of  course, Easter baskets that actually have a little chocolate bunny in it.*

Easter at the Beach...my little athlete!
So friends and family – near and far – let this be your open invitation to the Speer Home on Easter Sunday from now until forever.  Call ahead, drop on in unannounced…mi casa es su casa!  Happy Easter everyone!!! With love, Leah

And speaking of family and Easter…I have to give a little shout out to my favorite uncle.  Charley Bellacera…we love you!  Thanks for remembering us on the holidays! 

*I forgot the chocolate bunny this year!  The main part of any basket!  I was shopping over a week ago right before going into work.  I knew I wouldn’t be home for a few hours and whatever chocolate I bought then would definitely melt.  So I just got the baskets, grass, jelly beans, and gifts.  I was supposed to get the bunnies the day before Easter.  I even went to Walmart, thinking I had already bought them so I didn’t look at them twice.  It wasn’t until midnight last night I was putting their baskets together and….no bunny!  Who doesn’t get a bunny on Easter?!  Well, I decided they really don’t know better and will make it up to them next year.  And Easter morning, the two boys couldn’t have been more excited about their baskets and candy…no questions of any missing bunnies!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I know we all get excited as moms to sit at the table and watch our little ones paint their Easter eggs in glee every year for Easter weekend.  We coax them with pride to get as many eggs as possible; the more, always the better.  However in this annual tradition are we forgetting what this holiday is truly about?  You see, if you celebrate Easter, you are celebrating a much deeper and more important meaning than simply the Easter bunny.  To me, Easter sunday is a day we go to church to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Matthew 28:1-10
After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb. There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.
The angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: 'He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.' Now I have told you."
So the women hurried away from the tomb, afraid yet filled with joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Suddenly Jesus met them. "Greetings," he said. They came to him, clasped his feet and worshiped him. Then Jesus said to them, "Do not be afraid. Go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me." 

To me, Easter is definitely a day to celebrate.  Religious or not, Easter is a day beyond a day just to fellowship and spend together.  I hope to remember that myself today.  Happy Easter to all!

No comments: