Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Their Happiness In Our Heart


If only you could package that look on your child’s face, the sparkle in their eye, those moments when you just know they are genuinely happy. 

I see it in my son’s eyes when he conquers the challenge of taking something apart then skillfully reassembles it.  That pride when he pulls himself up on the edge of the pool after finally swimming free from his floaties.  I feel the exhilaration in his little hand gripped in mine while we’re dancing to some 80s hair band I remember rocking out to on my walkman in middle school.  The glee which emerges in his smile as we watch Yo Gabba Gabba—glancing at one another in anticipation of the knock-knock jokes he has memorized.  I see it in his whole face when I put down the vacuum to sit on the floor and work on a puzzle with him.  Or, the rare moments when he shares a toy with his brother knowing that I’m watching and proud. 

While lying with me on the couch just before naptime, it’s the peaceful look that paints his face.  Or, the chuckle that escapes his lips when his brother does something amusing – something that probably would only be that hilarious to another toddler.  Or the wicked smile he flashes when he thinks he’s tricked me into giving him another piece of candy.  The quiet “I love you” as he squeezes his stuffed doggy to his chest while I tuck him in after a big fun day. 

Come to think of it, maybe his happiness is packaged.  As a memoir in my heart.

*Leah

No comments: