Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement - Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos

Recipe for 8/24/11 ~ Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
I just started the slow cooker an hour ago and our entire home is permeated in a fiesta of cilantro with a hint of lime.  It makes me want to grab an ice cold Corona, but alas, ‘tis only 11am.  I lift up the lid to stir the chicken breasts soaking in a tropical lagoon of salsa y taco seasonings. 
My husband has never much been a fan for slow cooked meals.  Unless maybe it is ribs or something manly like that.  But mostly he sees a slow cooker and chicken as a method of boiling and that does not sound appetizing to him in the least. 
However, I snuck this recipe in last month.  When my husband arrived home from work that evening, the first thing he did was raise a knowing eyebrow with a pleasing smile of the zesty, lustrous aroma.  The second thing he did was shoot an inquisitive glance towards the slow cooker as if he hadn’t enjoyed being welcomed home to a fine home-cooked meal.  Thirty minutes later, after the family gathered at our table, his eyes lit up after his first bite. 
“This is really great!  The lime, the cilantro!  It’s so flavorful.”  I’m almost positive he used the word flavorful.
Ah ha!  I thought!  I defeated the slow cooker skepticisms in his head.  I thought, I can use this delightful appliance and save time.  Hooray!  And the excitement didn’t end here folks!  He went back for seconds and even our pickier toddler threw down and polished off every last bite. 
It’s an easy recipe.  It’s a flavorful recipe.  It can be as healthy as you’d like.
Bon appetite!
J Leah
The creator of the recipe is my friend Ashley Wendt (wendtsbooty.blogspot.com).  Though I have to thank our mutual friend, photographer Joanna Davis for insisting I try it (http://www.photosbyjoannad.blogspot.com/). 
Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
3 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Jar (16 oz) your favorite Salsa (We like Tostitos® Restaurant Style Salsa)
1 packet Low Sodium Taco Seasoning
1 Lime (juice from 1 lime)
3 T Fresh Cilantro, chopped (muy importante!)
6 Tortillas

Directions
In a slow cooker, mix Salsa, Taco Seasoning, Lime Juice and cilantro.
Add Chicken. Cook on low for 8-10 hrs.
Remove chicken and shred.
Serve with a tortilla Add any of your favorite toppings* (lettuce, onions, peppers, black olives, sour cream, taco sauce, etc.)

*I chose to serve ours with chopped tomato, chopped onion, sliced avocado (a MUST in our home), and sour cream.  As you now know, my husband determined there is so much going on in the flavor department…so hold the taco sauce.

2 comments:

Katrina & Leah said...

All I have to say is, wowzer. I made this tonight, it cooked all day long while I was at work and then soccer practice for the kiddos. Came home to an aroma that was so delish I couldn't wait to dig in! My daughter wanted to just eat the chicken and salsa soupy mixture! :) A total hit!

Stephanie said...

Making this for dinner tonight! Since it's gotten rave reviews from some of my favorite mamas, I can't wait to see how it tastes!