Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement ~ Homeade Chicken Noodle Soup

Well, what crazy week it's been so far.  Both my son and I have been diagnosed with influenza A, and let me tell you...it's no walk in the park.  If I can eat, I'm eating soup out of a can.  I've longed for someone to make me this yummy recipe, my kids love soup so it's always a hit and perfect for a day you aren't feeling well or the weather is bad. 


Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon smart balance butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
  • 1/2 pound chopped cooked chicken breast
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat egg noodles
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion and celery in butter until just tender, 5 minutes. Pour in chicken and vegetable broths and stir in chicken, noodles, carrots, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes before serving.


Happy Eating Friends! ~ Trina