Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement - Slow Cooker Ham and Bean New Year's Meal

Sure, you missed out on this recipe this New Year's Day...but I think you can still reap the luck within the first ten days of January!  It's so tasty-the leftovers are even better!  The black-eyed peas will bring prosperity to your new year; pork for wealth; and cayenne and oregano because it tastes good.  Click here for other lucky foods for the New Year.  This is the first year I've played into this "lucky meal" on New Year's Day tradition, but watch me in 2012 and you'll see what a fab year I have!!  We even took it a step further and did up some collard greens (I have never ever had them in my life, much less cooked them, but because I live in the south, I chose this as my symbolic "cooked greens" fortune.  Serve on top of brown rice with corn bread.  Y'all got that?

Slow Cooker Ham and Bean New Year's Meal

1 (20 ounce) can black-eyed peas (soaked overnight)
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
1 (15 ounce) can light kidney beans, drained
1 (15 ounce) can dark kidney beans, drained
1 (16 ounce) tomato puree
1 large onion, chopped
1 pound cooked ham, cubed
1 clove garlic, minced, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 tablespoon sour cream

Directions

Stir the black-eyed peas, beans, onion, ham, and garlic together in a slow cooker. Stir cayenne and oregano into tomato puree.  Add puree mixture to slow cooker. Cook on High for 30 minutes, Low for 5-6 hours. Top with sour cream to serve.

Original Recipe