Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement~ Southwest Chicken Soup

This was the first time I'd made this soup...and it was absolutely amazing.  First of all, I love pretty much all Mexican food.  Secondly, I love cilantro like there's no tomorrow.  And most importantly as you know, I love healthy food.  So, you can see why this meal is a fav of mine.  I have to be honest, the hubby wasn't a huge fan, he argued for me to cook it once a month rather than my argument of at least once every two weeks.  Both kids loved it.

Ingredients:
1-Can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed & drained
1-Can (14/5 oz) chicken broth
12-oz of your favorite Salsa
3/4 to 1-Pd cooked chicken breasts, cut up into chunks
1- Can corn
2-Tsp ground Cumin
1 1/2-Tsp Chili Powder
1/4-Cup Cheddar cheese shredded
4-TBL light sour cream
1/4-Cup Fresh Diced Cilantro

Directions:
(First, I browned the chicken w/olive oil)
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stir together the beans, broth, salsa, chicken, corn, cumin, chili powder.  Bring to boil, reduce to low & cover, simmer for 15 minutes to blend spices/flavors.
Ladle soup into bowls, top with sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.
Happy eating friends!  Trina