Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement - Chili-Pasta Skillet

Sunday, September 18th ~ Chili-Pasta Skillet


I love, love, love any and all versions of chili in the fall.  I am trying a pal's kids-friendly chili recipe this week I'm excited about and will likely share next week.  I'm a huge fan of skillet recipes as well (I posted a skillet lasagna recipe in one of our earlier posts)  because they are easy- and less messy then the original dishes.  I went ahead and splurged on full-on cheddar cheese rather than the less fat version...but I think this recipe totally calls for it.  It's perfect for a wonderful cool Sunday afternoon or evening.  You can use less or more chili powder depending on your family's preference...my kids are used to eating spicy and this dish wasn't too hot at all.  I got thumbs up from the entire family, including  my 1 1/2-year-old who insisted on eating it himself with a spoon and was covered in it.  If only I'd gotten a picture of that!!!

1-pd lean ground beef
1/2-of med onion chopped
1-15 oz can of kidney beans, rinsed & drained
1-14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes undrained
1/2-cup wheat elbow macaroni
1-4 oz can diced  green chile peppers, drained
2 or 3-tablespoons of chili powder (depending on your liking)
1/2-teaspoon garlic salt
1/2-cup or 2 oz monterey jack or cheddar cheese (as you can see, I used more!!)

In a large skillet cook meat & onion until meat is brown and onions are tender.  Drain off any excess fat.  Stir in beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, uncooked macaroni, chili peppers, chili powder, and garlic salt.  Bring to boiling, reduce heat.  Simmer, covered for 20 minutes or until macaroni is tender, stirring often.  Remove skillet from heat, sprinkle mixture with cheese.  Cover & let stand a few minutes for cheese to melt.

I suggest serving with corn bread.

Happy Eating My Friends!
*Trina

No comments: