Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement - Creamy Meat & Potato Casserole

I just made this recipe and froze it for my brother and sister-in-law, who just came home from the hospital with a brand new baby girl (who is adorable might I add, and almost makes me want to start working on #3.  Almost).  My husband LOVES it because its potatoes and beef, and the kids love it because its creamy and cheesy.  The cream of celery is surprising...I always like something new that I rarely use.  There's always left overs for lunches, which at our house is a big deal.

Sunday 9/4/11 Recipe ~ Creamy Meat & Potato Casserole (Trina's version- I've changed it a few times)




Ingredients

  • 1.25-pounds lean ground beef  (I usually get three pounds and use the remaining meat in another casserole or dish) 
  • 3-cups peeled and thinly sliced potatoes (or enough to cover the bottom of the baking pan if you are measuring)
  • 2-(10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup 
  • 1- small onion chopped
  • 1- cup of frozen corn
  • 3/4-cup 2% milk or fat free 1/2 & 1/2
  • 1/4- cup of water
  • salt to taste, garlic powder or garlic salt
  • freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (you can use any cheese you like, or light cheddar- cheddar's the best)

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350
  2. In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef; drain fat.
  3. In a medium mixing bowl, combine cream of celery soup, onion, corn, milk, water, salt and pepper
  4. Alternately layer the potatoes, soup mixture and meat in a 11x7 inch (2 quart) baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until potatoes are tender. Top with Cheddar cheese, and continue baking until cheese is melted.

Happy Labor Day weekend & happy eating my friends!  Enjoy.

No comments: