Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Who Gets Sick on Vacation, Anyway?

We arrived in Ellensburg, Washington at 3:30 p.m. on Thursday afternoon.  I was so excited to be out of the car-I ran to the store, bought diapers and a bottle of red wine, which I consumed entirely shortly after.  It was great to sit down in something other than car seats.  The kids ran around like wild hooligans, and my mother and I chatted and caught up. I didn't yet notice the tickle in my throat...

Friday night I was excited to see two close friends, one of which I don't get to see often and we've been friends since gradeschool.  We took the kids to the rodeo and when they got cold and bored, my mom took them home and we headed out to party behind the chutes.  There's something about seeing old friends, having drinks, and just being in my hometown.  Lots of hugs and smiles and just catching up on who's doing what and who's been where. We didn't get home until 2:00 a.m., where we decided to stay up longer, eat triscuits with melted cheese, dipped in sour cream (in my wilder and wooly days, I used to eat all kinds of crazy stuff after a night out) and talk about the night's events and whatever else was on our mind.  I'm sure this was the night that did me in, the tickle turned into a scratchy throat.  Clayton was up by 6:00 a.m., and I was a zombie.

We started partying again at noon, my best friend Laura was having her 30th birthday party and a bunch of girls got together to go to the rodeo, then go out and eat, then head to her private party to kick up our heels. Her friend Stasha and I had a few surprises planned; pictures from middle school, wild pictures from recently - just lots of memories for her and everyone to scour while hanging out and celebrating.  Laura is one of those people that's the life of the party, anytime she's around it's a good time, for sure.  I even have a few videos from her birthday that show proof of this...

After getting home at 2:00 a.m. with a full on sore throat, I knew I was in trouble.  Me, Clay and grandma woke up with a terrible sore throat and stuffy nose.  We didn't even leave the house day #1, and yesterday only left for a few minutes to go grab a bit to eat and take the kids to the park.  Today is recovery day however, and I will be out and about, visiting whoever I can!

While getting sick on vacation is super frustrating, I must say it was nice to have someone here to help with the kids.  Even though mom was sick too, she was there to help with naptime and getting the kids something to eat...so being sick wasn't as hard as usual.  Plus, I got to sit for long enough to watch Mermaids, a show on Animal Planet.  I will tell you this; I'm a believer in mermaids now!  A separate post to follow!

Sick or not, this vacation is going to be one to go down in the books!  ~Trina

No comments: