Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holiday Recipe Spectacular - Desserts - Leah's Favorite Cookies

Oh yeah, that's the new name of this cookie!  My all-time favorite Christmas cookie.  I beg my mom to make dozens every year and I just started baking them myself.  I'm obsessed with anything that has almond extract or flavoring.  Amaretto too...you know it!  These cookies are fun because the kiddos can get involved and use a variety of sprinkles and colored icing (beware of icing on your carpet...not fun).  Festive and yummy cookies-enjoy!

Leah's Favorite Cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 2/3 cup flour

Beat butter with sugar and extract in large bowl with electric mixer.  Stir in flour until dough forms.  Refrigerate 1 hour.  Roll out on floured surface and use your fun Christmas cookie cutters.  Place cut-out cookies on cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Icing

3 cups confectioners sugar
5 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
food coloring
sprinkles


Mix sugar, milk and extract together until smooth.  Divide and add color.  Enjoy!!

Warning:  Those commercials you see on TV where the mom and her young kids are happily rolling out dough and cutting out cookies are an act!  Don't believe it can be this clean and orderly (unless your kids are
naturally always this way)!  In my home, I had two boys attacking my Christmas tree cutouts with their snowmen cutters...flour all over the house...icing on the carpet...mess and all, the cookies turned out delicious and we had the time of our life!