Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement ~ Healthy & Hearty Pasta

Okay, so the other night I was getting ready to make beef strog, and realized I didn't have enough sour cream.  Soo...I proceeded to pull everything out of the cabinets I had and just "made up" this dish.  It turned out pretty dang tasty too!  Also, I included how I makde the ranch dressing that I use for our salads.  Yes, it's made from a packet, but usually the dressing mix calls for mayo & sour cream, which I hate.  I don't like most pre-made dressings either, unless they are at a restaurant, so I make my own.

Pasta 
1-Pd Lean Ground Beef
1/2-Pd Lean Pork Sausage (use the other 1/2 pd for breakfast in an egg omelet!)
6-oz of noodles (I'm guessing here-cook more if you like more noodles, and then only add to the dish as much as you prefer)
3-14.5 oz cans of Diced Tomatoes
2-Tsp Italian Seasoning
3-Cloves of Fresh Garlic, minced
Salt & pepper to taste
1-small can of mushrooms, or a handful of fresh mushrooms diced
1-Onion

Salad
1-Packet Ranch Dressing powder mix (not the dip!)
16-oz of light Sour Cream
3-Tbl of milk (or enough so that the dressing has a creamy consistency
Any kind of mixed greens & tomatoes, onions or whatever type of veggies you like with your salad

Brown the hamburger & the sausage together, adding the onion and garlic to cook once nearly browned.  Cook until the onion is tender.  Cook the noodles separately according to package directions.  Add the mushrooms to the meat mixture, along with and Italian seasoning, and salt & pepper.  Add the diced tomatoes, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and let the juices & seasonings simmer, covered for up to 20 minutes.  Add the drained noodles to the meat mixture, to your desired mix of the two.

Mix the dressing mix, sour cream, and milk to the right consistency, and serve with the salad.

Happy Eating Friends! ~Trina

No comments: