Sunday, October 9, 2011

The Anti-Chicken Fingers Movement ~ Chicken Cacciatore Pasta

I've always loved Chicken Cacciatore, so when I found a healthy recipe that I tweaked a bit to fit my families liking...it's a regular favorite at our house.   Because I cook such diverse dishes...with a lot of veggies and lean meats...my kiddos will eat mostly anything.  I am hoping this pays off later in life!!!!!

1.5-lbs boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-size chunks
2-Tbl olive oil
1-Lg green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1-Small Onion chopped
3- cloves (I suggest fresh) garlic, minced
3/4- Tsp dried oregano
1/4-Tsp red pepper flakes
Salt- desired amount
Ground black pepper-desired amount
1/2 of a box of sliced mushrooms, or a full box of baby portobello mushrooms quartered
2-Tbl dry white wine or chicken broth
1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1/2-pd whole wheat spiral, elbow, or whatever small type of noodles you prefer


In large, deep nonstick skillet warm oil over med-high heat, add chicken, onion and bell pepper, sprinkle with garlic, oregano & crushed black pepper.  Be sure to not burn garlic.  Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.   Season with salt & pepper.  Chicken should be lightly browned.  Begin cooking noodles separately according to package directions.
Add the mushrooms & wine or broth.  Cook, stirring often, for 8 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.  Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes while sauce thickens.  Drain noodles & transfer to skillet.

I usually will accompany with either sour dough or whole wheat bread.  You can serve with salad, or another vegetable such as green beans as well.

Happy Eating Friends!!! *Trina

No comments: