Friday, November 25, 2011

Holiday Recipe Spectacular - Dessert - Apple Dumplings

Another one of my childhood faves!  This was probably my most requested dessert when I was growing up.  Love it!  Especially because you got your own individual dumpling, it was all yours!  This recipe goes way back to my great-grandmother in Kentucky.  My mom's mom would make them, then my mom and now I can make them on my very own-cute, right!  It's such an easy recipe, but what an impressive show it would make when you hand each of your guests their very own warm apple dumpling!  It'd look like it took hours to prepare-and just for them!  You're the best hostess ever!!

Mother and Mom's Apple Dumplings
•2 cups peeled, pared and sliced tart apples (or 1 16 oz. can apple slices)
•1 pkg. pie crust mix (for two pies)
•1 cup sugar
•1/2 t cloves
•1 t cinnamon
•1/2 t nutmeg
•1 cup milk
•1/4 c flour
•Cool Whip

Prepare pie crust sticks as directed. Roll out into 8 equal squares. Place two T apple slices on each and fold up each corner. Place in greased baking pan and dot with butter. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. (For fresh apples, bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes). While cooling, prepare cinnamon sauce. Mix sugar, spices and flour together and gradually stir in milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened. Spoon warm sauce over dumplings and top with Cool Whip or fresh whipped cream.