Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Old Friends and Road Trippin

I have to say, there's something about going home.  Of course, I've said it in posts before.  You roll into town, you smell those familiar smells, see the familiar sights.  You notice new things too; a business that's now in Mr. Edwards old music shop.  A coffee shop that fills an old vacant rental.  An old building that's sporting a new, bright color of paint.  Home sweet home.

The 18 hour drive to Washington for labor day weekend went pretty well.  We stopped in Twin Falls, Idaho which is halfway, and the kids did great.  Once we got to Washington, the craziness began.  I'm one of those people that makes friends pretty easily.  Or at least, I used to.  So in my hometown, it's always a madhouse of seeing a thousand people I know I must see, and then missing a thousand more that I wished I could've seen and seem to miss every year.  By the end of the trip, I need a vacation from the vacation.  But, I always have a good time.

The main purpose of this trip was my friend Laura's 30th birthday.  Anyone who knows Laura knows that she absolutely tops the list of people to party with.  You want to have the most amazing time in your life?  Invite Laura!  She's the one break dancing, getting everyone out on the floor- regardless if they can dance or not, telling jokes that only she can really tell, insisting we need one more shot, or at least, participating in the madness and making what would usually be your run-of-the mill party be the even of the year.  I always beg her, "can drunk Laura come out and play tonight?".  There's even one point on her birthday where she put a stool out on the dance floor and jumped it.  Laura's like 5'' okay.  She jumped a chair!

Spending the evening with Laura reminded me of how much I miss her!  She's that friend I've had since sixth grade.  She knows me better than anyone.  And everytime we hang up the phone, we can wait for months, and pick right back up where we left off.  There's something about someone who knows you inside and out, someone that when preparing for her birthday party; you can pull out years and years worth of photos and see how you've changed and grown throughout the years, together.

I was blessed enough to spend time with several friends - old and new.  My friend Julia came up for a night and went to the rodeo with me - even though it was pure torture for her because I'm running around seeing everyone I know from a town I'd grew up in, constantly leaving her by herself.  One of my old besties Kyle came to the rodeo with his wife and I got to hang out with them too.  I can't name everyone - but I saw many people I was excited about - and many I wish I could have spent more time with.

A friend I've had since gradeschool, Jessica Grigg, came to the rodeo with us as well one night.  She's another one you can pick right up where you left off with and not miss a beat. Back in middle school, we used to go to the rodeo every year on Friday and Saturday night.  We used to listen to Chris Ledoux and dress up in hideously tight wranglers and boots with huge belt buckles and "pre-funk" prior to heading to the rodeo.  After the rodeo, Chris Ledoux had a concert every year and we never missed one.  It's a tradition I miss, even now - years later.  It was fun for us to get to go to the rodeo together and then to have drinks behind the chutes (not having to worry about fake ID's mind you or getting caught by the array of people you've grown up with that know you're entirely too young to be drinking).  And while I got home entirely too late that night...it was an evening I won't forget!

By the time my kids and I got the strain of cold that was going around and feeling a bit better, it was time to pack up and head home.  Clayton had a a double ear infection (I found out the following monday) and hadn't slept as well as he did at home, so I decided for the first time in my life to drive the full 17-hour drive in one day.

There's something about when I get determined to do something.  There's not one person in this world who can stop me.  Sure, I'm usually laid back and go with the flow.  But when I want something, watch out...I'll go to all measures to get it.  And, I wanted to be home.  Everyone, including my husband, thought I should stop halfway.  And, I did think about the drive to Washington, and how ready I was by the time I got to Twin Falls, to get out of the car.  But I also knew that I'd set my mind to just that-getting to Twin Falls.

So I left around 7:00 a.m. or so that Saturday and knew, I'd be driving to Rifle, CO, that night.  And, I did.  With a sick child who had to be double-dosed with medicine, and and exhausted little girl who had done her best to help her mama the entire trip and the drive home with her baby brother.  That Callie-girl, she's special.  It didn't matter how many times Clayton threw his pacifier in a fit of sickly rage, she would calmly unstrap, get down, get it for him, or plug in his TV, or get his toy- whatever to make the poor boy stop crying, then get back in her carseat and strap back in.  We made it home around 2a.m. mountain time and I crashed...after deciding that if I could do that, well...I could do anything I set my mind to.

While I had a great time and loved every minute of being back home - it was like every trip.  Nice to see everyone, but I'm so glad to get home - my true home.  ~ Trina



No comments: